What is the best Inner tube? Valve stem choices?

More
11 Jan 2015 21:56 #28867 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic:
When I did the 1932 Packard Twin Six with the 7:50 x 18 Bedford Double White Walls, the 90 degree nickel plated metal stems came via Lucas Tire (via Universal Tire in Pennsylvania). I have not called Lucas in a while, though I usually ask for "Maytag" and he does a fine job in helping.

You will need flaps as well - wire wheel spokes and tubes do not get along.

And you will need to use talcum powder (just plain Jane old fashioned Johnsons baby powder works great) on the tubes, flaps, and casings - just a super light dusting. The talc keeps everything from sticking together and allows some flex movement. A lot of people will tell you this is not needed, but having put well over 100,000 miles driving prewar-cars I have never had a bias ply tire/tube let me down on the road. My tire guy (who also has 1930's cars) just retired on Wednesday of this week after 60 years as a Goodyear dealer - he swears by talc.

I usually lay the hub of the wheel up on some lumber, put on gym shoes, and and "walk" the lock ring in (tuck one end in and then step on the ring and walk around it) - I have had good success with both chrome and painted wheels.

Also, I have become paranoid about code stickers in tires - always double check as stickers also do not get along with tubes.

And, inflate in a cage at a store that does truck rims. It is not an old wives tale - lock rings really can kill and maim people.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Joel
  • Joel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
20 Jan 2015 22:36 #28969 by Joel
Joel replied the topic:
Thanks, that sounds like good advice. I'll go with the nickel 90 degree stems.

At the garage where I worked in high school, sometimes we got wheels like this and they always called them split rims. So I learned something new, thanks.

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe

More
20 Jan 2015 22:48 #28970 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic:
I think of a split rim as more a wooden wheel thing (and perhaps some trucks) - the rim actually is not a continuous ring and you have to use a rim spreading tool (a sot of three point jack like tool) to get the rim over the wheel assembly - also more fun than a barrel full of monkeys.

I just did 10 Auburn 852 wheels over the past month - My broken record phrase has been "do not chip my paint".

JMM

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds