J-426/2452: Trying to complete the history of my Grandfather's Duesenberg

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
07 Sep 2017 04:10 #33518 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic: J-426/2452: Trying to complete the history of my Grandfather's Duesenberg
Jack, Have you found anything with your Cord yet? Would be curious as to the solution. Hope you bought the right parts.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2017 22:48 #33521 by J426
J426 replied the topic: J-426/2452: Trying to complete the history of my Grandfather's Duesenberg
Thank you for the kind reply! I was fortunate to speak with Randy this week and hope to get my dad up to his place soon to share even more pictures we found last night...when I get a chance, I will post some more on the car :)

I was wondering if I should join the club- I am extremely proud to be able to say my grandfather owned a Duesenberg. Our grandfathers definitely had great taste in cars!

Rob Radcliffe

• Jonathan Richards
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
17 Sep 2017 14:58 #33576 by Jonathan Richards
Jonathan Richards replied the topic: J-426/2452: Trying to complete the history of my Grandfather's Duesenberg
Hi, Mike, This subject properly belongs under Cord 810/810 Forum but, yes , the problem with 32410S has been diagnosed and corrected.The screw which affixes the upper collar ( with slot for distributor drive shaft) to the intermediate drive shaft in the cam driven oil pump/distributor system came loose causing distributor rotor to stop. End result, no ignition and engine stops. A coat of Permatex Blue anti-seize on the threads of the screw and proper re-assembly did the trick and the Cord re-started. Today she takes a 60 mile trip to Millstadt, Illinois to the home of the daughter of the late ACD Club member Col. Leonard Redburn. It was Leonard who completed most of the restoration on Geneva in the 1990s. Thanks for inquiring, Jack Richards.

More
07 Sep 2018 04:39 - 07 Sep 2018 18:00 #35366 by J426
J426 replied the topic: J-426/2452: Trying to complete the history of my Grandfather's Duesenberg
Hello everyone! The recent pictures from Pebble Beach have inspired me to post an update on my grandfather's Duesenberg. I was fortunate to attend Pebble Beach in 2015 at the invite of my friend Bill Worden, who owns the historic Barris Kustoms built Ralph Testa '50 Merc convertible. It was part of an historical custom Mercury gathering curated by Ken Gross.

Since my last post, I have spoken with Bill Dreist on the phone and had a number of back and forth letters that shared some exciting information and pictures. My friend Megan has also put me in touch with pictures of Bill's Duesenberg at the ACD meets. I hope to attend next year for the celebration of the Model J.

Randy Ema was very graceful to give my parents and me a wonderful tour of his shop in Orange and he had some fascinating letters my grandfather wrote about the Duesenberg as well as old repair invoices from work by Jim Hoe. My dad said he remembers going to Jim Hoe's shop as a kid and visiting for family dinners during the holidays. He recalled doing over 100 mph in a Duesenberg touring car (not sure exactly which one) and having a blowout...which ended safely, apparently.

When I have some more time, I will share more detailed information.

drive.google.com/open?id=1cuDg3i5mZU_SF7q9yciSODIjB2Op89bU
drive.google.com/open?id=1RowPSgznO2Oy1iS-2YQrcjcNZUI-l6mW
drive.google.com/open?id=1ZAU54oa0od95mGDS2k6WQ_hPakvfE2pn
Last Edit: 07 Sep 2018 18:00 by J426.

More
07 Sep 2018 19:39 #35367 by J426
I wanted to add a few pictures of my Barris-style 1950 Ford kustom that I built. My goal was to emulate something that would have rolled off the Barris Kustoms Lynwood lot in late 1953 to early '54. This was a long build that was often on the back-burner after a garage fire, head-on collision, finishing college, and doing metalwork on customers' cars. I have had a small shop called King Kustoms since 2001 and recently moved from Temecula to Lake Elsinore. I continue to build kustoms on the side, but one at a time these days because I am a full time history teacher.

I started with a stock '50 Ford Tudor Sedan and chopped it six and a half inches in the front and about eight in the rear. Tail lights are '53 Pontiac set inside '52 Ford bezels that were blended into the stock windsplits- a nod to the Barris-built Chuck DeWitt '50 Ford. Grill is narrowed '54 Ford with '51 end bullets set inside of a modified and molded '50 Merc grill shell. Side trim is NOS '54 Dodge that I modified to fit the Ford body.

More
07 Sep 2018 23:27 #35369 by Joe Holderman
Joe Holderman replied the topic: J-426/2452: Trying to complete the history of my Grandfather's Duesenberg
Nice ol' custom!

Future Cord owner.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.836 seconds