Skip to main content

Wrong Carburetor?

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
12 Dec 2010 02:40 #18744 by IndycarBruce
Replied by IndycarBruce on topic Wrong Carburetor?
Neal,
I'll give that a try. I think I'll start with a repair kit for the Carter, and see if they have a rebuilt Schebler carburetor while I'm at it.
Bruce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Neal Ziff
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2010 02:10 #18706 by Neal Ziff
Replied by Neal Ziff on topic Carb search
You might want to contact Jon Hargrove of The Carburetor Shop in your search for the correct carb. He has been very helpful to me in my search for a Schebler UX51 for my '30 8-95 Auburn.
Contact info:
(573) 392-7378
email: <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Good luck,
Neal

Neal

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Dec 2010 16:47 #18701 by IndycarBruce
I didn't realize Carter BB-1 carburetors were discussed in this forum in September. Here's the link:

forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.com/phpbb2/viewto ... e3875f6516

Mine is mounted backwards from the picture.

There's also some interesting stuff on Carter BB series carbs from "Carbking" on the AACA forum.

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Dec 2010 16:04 #18698 by IndycarBruce
Steve,
Thank you. That's what I suspected.

I think I'll take a parallel path of rebuilding the Carter while looking for a Schebler. If I find a Schebler, then the Carter may become my backup.

Bruce

More
08 Dec 2010 15:28 #18697 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic Wrong Carburetor?
Hello Bruce:
I think that the Carter BB-1 updraft carburetor came out about 1931 as a universal replacement carburetor that would fit many different cars due to it's adjustable main jet. In my "Chilton" and "Standard" repair manuals of the period I find no factory applications for the BB-1. I do know that it is a good unit as many are in use today.

I did find factory applications for the Carter 6A2 and 6B2 updraft carburetors on the 1932 Dodge, Plymouth and DeSoto. These carburetors are similar to the BB-1.

With your car being a 1929 model, I think that it is a certainty that the BB-1 was not factory installed.

Kindest regards,
Steve Stevens
Evansville, IN

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Dec 2010 01:58 #18694 by IndycarBruce
Wrong Carburetor? was created by IndycarBruce
My Auburn 680 has a Carter BB-1 carburetor. The owner's manual shows a Schebler UX24.

There's a bent pipe that was once attached to the air intake of the carb (now loose), and it extends up to the top of the engine. Looks like it was made from an oil filler tube. That was obviously modified to be an air intake.

I think the carb was changed by a previous owner, but is it possible the Carter carb was factory installed, and not listed in the owner's manual?

If you reply, please reply in open forum so others who may be curious can see your response.