Skip to main content

Auburn Cabriolet stress cracks

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2011 13:51 #18985 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Auburn Cabriolet stress cracks
Curt & Bill: Thanks for the input. I did find that there are body seams at this point and I'm pretty sure the factory laid-in a lead filler on top of them. I'm in the middle of restoring this car and found that the former owner had removed the lead and applied a thick layer of plastic body filler over the seams. Yesterday I sanded off the "bondo" and found that this seam area was sunken down about 3/8" deep. So far, I have welded 3" wide sheetmetal patches over the seams to bring this area up flush with the rest of the body. This may move the stress area over, as Bill said, but maybe not.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2011 13:31 #18983 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic crack
It is my opinion that rear mounted spares exasterbate this problem.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• W. E. Snelson
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2011 07:09 #18981 by W. E. Snelson
Replied by W. E. Snelson on topic Cabrio body cracks
I have owned a 36 cabrio for many years, and yes, it has these cracks. I have repaired them a couple of times, and I think the problem is body flexing at these points. A bigger gusset may help, but beware! It may just move the flex point further along the panel. Regards, bill Snelson.

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Jan 2011 14:19 #18964 by ilikescars
Auburn Cabriolet stress cracks was created by ilikescars
Question for anyone out there that has a 34-36 cabriolet: Do you notice stress cracks occuring in the paint at the top corners of the trunk/rumble seat? I'm thinking that a larger gusset welded-in at the corners would keep this from happening...

Mark