Skip to main content

Oil Filter Options for an 8-98A

• DPeeler
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2011 23:52 #19385 by DPeeler
Replied by DPeeler on topic Oil Filter Options for an 8-98A
Thanks guys - much appreciated! I'm hoping to keep the appearance as close to original as possible so I'll look to see which of these options work the best. I may leave the old filter on just one more season at most and start working the flea markets in earnest to see what I can find.

David Peeler
1931 Auburn 8-98A Phaeton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2011 22:35 #19384 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic Oil Filter Options for an 8-98A
Hi,

I found my external oil filter canisters for the Roadmonster and the LaSalle on EBay by searching among tractor parts. Each was about $10 including shipping. You can get hoses made locally.

Fram C4 and C5 canister filters are easily available, and pretty cheap.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2011 14:22 #19380 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Oil Filter Options for an 8-98A

curt wrote: I can't speak for others, but I got a cannister type filter from the 50's, made a bracket and mounted it in place of the original type filter. The cannister elements are readily available at NAPA.

I did the same thing as Curt. It's a no brainer; you can usually find these @ swap meets.

Mike
8-100A

More
24 Feb 2011 02:42 #19378 by curt
Replied by curt on topic Oil Filter Options for an 8-98A
I can't speak for others, but I got a cannister type filter from the 50's, made a bracket and mounted it in place of the original type filter. The cannister elements are readily available at NAPA.

• DPeeler
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2011 15:17 #19369 by DPeeler
Oil Filter Options for an 8-98A was created by DPeeler
We're getting ready for a spring oil change and need to change out the oil filter this time as well. I know of the mod kits out there that hide a modern spin on filter, but they are rather pricey and may require changing some of the plumbing lines. I've also had someone tell me to find an original filter, but have never seen one at a swap meet nor do the normal part suppliers carry them. I'd also be concerned about the paper media inside being so old that it might create more problems than help with filtering.

What is most commonly done and who has the parts?

Any help would be most appreciated. I looking forward to getting the "old girl" back on the road for the new season.

David

David Peeler
1931 Auburn 8-98A Phaeton