Skip to main content

'29 Auburn- Steel Bracket with Boss in Cowl

More
18 May 2011 01:56 #20086 by curt
Hi Bruce, You are correct in assuming it is the bracket for the tire. Leather straps hold the tire to this bracket and there is another bracket at the bottom that locks the spare into the wheel well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 May 2011 16:38 #20083 by IndycarBruce
Replied by IndycarBruce on topic '29 Auburn- Steel Bracket with Boss in Cowl
Curt,
I think I got it now. I found a picture of a car being restored, with a hole in the cowl's sheet metal, near the location of these brackets.

When you say side mount bracket, I'm assuming you are talking about a support for the spare tire. My car doesn't have any of that because my spare mounts on the back.

Thanks,
Bruce

More
17 May 2011 14:58 #20081 by curt
Hi Bruce, the cylindrical boss is where the bracket for the side mounts attaches. There would be a hole through the body and the bracket would bolt through that. There is no brace or rod that goes from one side to the other. These brackets have nothing to do with the Bijur. I will take some pictures later on and either post them here if I can figure out how or send them to you. If you are going to the reunion, there will be several cars of the proper vintage and you should be able to get a good look at everything. The one time I have attended, I found some early cars in the survivo rclass that the owners will willing to let me crawl under and through to look at things and take pictures, so that is another great resource.

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 May 2011 00:20 #20080 by IndycarBruce
Curt, I think maybe I misinterpretted what you meant by sidemount bracket. Did a rod go through the boss from outside the cowl to mount an accessory- ie: support bracket for side mounted spare wheels? (My spare is on the back.)

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
17 May 2011 00:14 #20079 by IndycarBruce
Curt, thank you for checking into that. I figured that out too when I took the picture. My question is about the cylindrical boss with a hole in it, mounted on the lower bracket. You'll notice it has a triangular flange and it's riveted on the lower bracket with 3 rivets.

The boss on the passenger side (shown in picture) is not in-line with the driver side boss. They are actually at 10-15 degree angles from linear. I wonder if there was a rod on the driver side, on which the Bijur pump lever rotated. (My lever is broken.) But if that's the case, what's the purpose of the passenger side boss?

I'm going to the ACD museum on Friday, so I'll take a peek then.

More
16 May 2011 03:33 #20072 by curt
Checked my 28 auburn-- The upper bracket is the bracket for the brace that goes from the firewall to the radiator, the lower is the sidemount bracket.

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 May 2011 00:31 #20071 by IndycarBruce
Here's a picture of the bracket on the inside passenger side. This is looking up under the dash. Actually there are two pieces. They are attached to each other with a wood brace, which then is attached to the wood door jam. Both brackets are riveted to the firewall. I can see what they support, but my question is what's the purpose of the cylindrical boss? The boss appears to be at an angle, not in line with the boss on the driver side.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
14 May 2011 16:54 #20058 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Sidemount Iron Brackets ?
Sidemount Iron Brackets perhaps ?

JMM

More
14 May 2011 04:49 #20055 by curt
where in the cowl are they located-- on the sides paralell to the floor, up high or what? a picture might be very helpful

• IndycarBruce
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
14 May 2011 01:49 #20053 by IndycarBruce
'29 Auburn- Steel Bracket with Boss in Cowl was created by IndycarBruce
There are two heavy steel brackets up under the cowl of my '29 Auburn, inside the cockpit, on opposite sides of the cowl, facing each other. They have a heavy boss with a hole in the boss. It looks like it's for a rod that ran horizontally between the two brackets, perhaps as a stabilizer to keep the cowl from flaring out. If there was a rod there, then it's gone now.

If needed, I can take a picture, but does anyone know the purpose these brackets?