Skip to main content

Auburn Model Designation

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2011 15:23 #20971 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Auburn Model Designation
The 852 is very different from the 35 851 which is decked to the hilt. So, not many options - heater, bumper guards (via marks on back bumper but no longer with car), running board moldings, metal robe rail, and had a set of "beat" wheel disks. As with many Auburns though it has been partially restored once if not twice before.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2011 15:09 #20970 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Auburn Model Designation

johnmereness wrote: The trumpets on the division bar could be Delco brand - the relay certainly is Delco. Hate to say I have not ever looked that closely.

The 36 852 has a Schwarze horn on it - interesting little thing down on RH frame rail as you mention.

I bet a few people leaded over the cowl vents over the years - on the way home from Auburn this year we were in some pretty intense rain over and over as we crossed down through the state (edge of a storm front). The cowl vent did pretty well, but division in the fold down windshield was another story.

Maybe that 852 is a true base model car. Are there ANY options on it?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2011 14:45 #20969 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Auburn Model Designation
The trumpets on the division bar could be Delco brand - the relay certainly is Delco. Hate to say I have not ever looked that closely.

The 36 852 has a Schwarze horn on it - interesting little thing down on RH frame rail as you mention.

I bet a few people leaded over the cowl vents over the years - on the way home from Auburn this year we were in some pretty intense rain over and over as we crossed down through the state (edge of a storm front). The cowl vent did pretty well, but division in the fold down windshield was another story.

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2011 11:24 #20966 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Re: Air horns

johnmereness wrote: Curt - I will stick with you on the Air Horn text. I am thinking they meant sparton trumpet horns for under the hood, but then that may even be a stretch (perhaps we are looking at just plain inaccurate marketing text).

My 36 852 showed no signs of an ornament or base, but upon close examination the holes have been soldered closed (and very nicely done as to both sides) verses never drilled, so the jury may be out on topic.

I will also have to say: great factory data - super sweet material!

JMM

'Sparton horns' ? Standard cars that were not equiped with Delco Remy dual trumpet horns came with a single Schwarze horn mounted down on the RH frame rail. I have not encountered Sparton.

That is interesting on the 852 hood ornment. Maybe an early customizing job? I have found them with the cowl vent leaded over.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2011 10:59 #20965 by auburn653
Replied by auburn653 on topic Auburn Model Designation
I will try to get the rest of the "hundreds" of pages of info I have accumulated over the years scanned and posted.
Earlier this year my wife cleaned up the den (while I was out of town), and found some pieces I didnt' even know I had.
Most info is for 34-36 Auburn, some 36 Cord, and miscellaneous "early" Auburn.
I also have many, many original Auburn, Cord, and Duesenberg advertisement pieces.

One of these days, will get it all digitized....and, yeah, I like "paper" products.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
15 Sep 2011 06:03 #20963 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Air horns
Curt - I will stick with you on the Air Horn text. I am thinking they meant sparton trumpet horns for under the hood, but then that may even be a stretch (perhaps we are looking at just plain inaccurate marketing text).

My 36 852 showed no signs of an ornament or base, but upon close examination the holes have been soldered closed (and very nicely done as to both sides) verses never drilled, so the jury may be out on topic.

I will also have to say: great factory data - super sweet material!

JMM

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2011 12:44 #20953 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Auburn

mikespeed35 wrote: I notice the papers say all 653, 851 Custom, and 851 Salon had standard equipment air horns. I don't see many cars with air horns so I have trouble believing that statement.
CORDially Mike

There is no doubt that this is factory literature. I think this was kind of a pie in the sky thing.

I agree on the buell air horns, they are not even the 1935-36 supplement parts book. They are however listed in the accessories book.

Has anyone ever seen a 35-36 sans a flying lady?

I get a kick out of 'standard extra equipment' I wonder how many cars were delivered sans front and rear bumpers and a spare tire.
Then they go on to say that the flying lady will be included on all cars at an extra cost. Hummmm?

Troy, you have some cool literature I am glad you shared it!

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2011 02:12 #20952 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Auburn Model Designation
I notice the papers say all 653, 851 Custom, and 851 Salon had standard equipment air horns. I don't see many cars with air horns so I have trouble believing that statement.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2011 01:25 #20951 by auburn653
No, don't think, but, will dig. Most all I have is for 35-36 Auburn, and also have several items dealing with 36 Cord.

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2011 15:17 #20940 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Auburn Model Designation
Wow!

I don't suppose you have anything like this for the 31-33 cars do you?

Mike
8-100A

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2011 01:18 #20930 by auburn653
info for Export models....

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2011 01:16 #20929 by auburn653
Domestic info...

• auburn653
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2011 03:17 #20916 by auburn653
from a Price Sheet, Effective April 8, 1935...

653 Custom Models have Dual Ratio, 16 inch wheels with 16 x 6.25 tires and Group "A" equipment.
653 Salon Models have Dual Ratio, Group "A" equipment, Air Horns, Chrome Lamps, 6 wire wheels (16 x 6.25 tires) and Built-In Trunk (Trunk not included on Cabriolet & coupe).

851 Custom Models have Dual Ratio, Safety Glass all around, and air horns.
851 Salon Models have Dual Ratio, Safety Glass all around, Air Horns, 6 wire wheels and built-in trunk (Trunk not included on cabriolet & coupe).

Group "A" Equipment - for 653 models only (this selection of special equiment is arranged for the 653 models only, giving many items which are regular equipment on the 851 models).
Extra tail lamp
Chrome running board moulding
Extra windshield wiper
Front door arm rests
Extra sun visor
Foot Rest
Metal robe rail
Startix

I will try to get these pages scanned tomorrow.

• Murray Hall
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2011 02:36 #20915 by Murray Hall
Auburn Model Designation was created by Murray Hall
For later Auburns, models are listed as standard, custom dual ratio and salon dual ratio. I am particularly interested in the differences between custom and salon models for 1935/1936. Any information that you can give me would be appreciated.
Murray