Skip to main content

'35 Speedster Body Numbers

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
26 Sep 2011 22:10 #21075 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic '35 Speedster Body Numbers
Yes, Randy would be the go-to guy. (My speedster is s/n 3025 with a #42 stamped on the fender shield.) I'm still trying to determine the body number, since my wood was replaced long-ago.

Also, Alan Strong told me he has accounted for the first 50 speedsters.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2011 16:44 #21053 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic speedsters
Randy Ema is a VERY reliable source of information on this subject.
Possibly he will chime in.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Rogerlearmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2011 16:23 #21052 by Rogerlearmonth
Replied by Rogerlearmonth on topic Speedster sequence and numbers produced
I well realise that the actual production sequence of individual cars is of no real importance but rather like a good detective yarn one is almost compelled to follow the trail.

From what I have heard to date the most compelling evidence comes from Curt but how can there be such massive discrepancy in the claims of numbers of Speedsters produced. Most literature mentions between 500 and 600. Others say between 250 and 500 and the number 142 comes from a most authoritative source. Is there some definitive way of nailing it down? It?s not proof of anything but does anyone?s stone guards have a number greater than 142 stamped on them?

I don?t know but I would have thought it very likely that serial numbers were synonymous with chronological sequence (Curt has Auburn material that supports this). In no way can a sample of two cars be considered a reliable statistical sample but with s/n 3027 having a 36 stamp and 2910 having 23, there is at least a hint of possible correlation.

No doubt in the next post we will hear of 3270 with stamping 10 and blow the theory ho, ho!

Roger L

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2011 13:00 #21051 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic spedster
My body number is the earliest known but my car is not the first by any means.
A number of years ago, John Ehresman indicated to me that he restored speedster #1 and #9 These very early cars had different manifolds, hoods
and pipes among other things.

I have been told that the reason that the stone guards and other parts were numbered to the car is because they were all hand formed and were specific to a certin body and fenders. This was merely a convenience to the factory workers.

Correct me if I am wrong here.
the first 10 or so cars were U42 1932 speedsters (Union City Bodys)
after that ( I don't know how many) U47 1933 salon bodies were used
finally A35 (made in Auburn)

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2011 12:35 #21050 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Numbers
According to the records I have which are in the museum archives, speedster chassis production as follows.
Dec 1, 1934 - May 31, 1935 101
June 1935 17
July 1935 7
Aug 1935 11
Sept 1935 2
Oct 1935 3
Nov 1935 1
Five other s/c chassis were built in 1936 which may or may not have been speedsters.

S/C Auburns produced in 1936 are:

sedan 8
phaeton 33
cabriolet 14
coupe 1
chassis (5 pass.) 5 These may have been export cars.

From this original factory documentation I would conclude all of the speedster chassis were made in 1935 and were bodied up up through March of 1936 when Auburn production ceased.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 Sep 2011 02:55 #21041 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic '35 Speedster Body Numbers
Here is my two cents for what ever it's worth. The figures I have heard guessed at are a production of 250 to 500. There are no production records on 35/36 Speedsters.
My car 33027- GH4324 body U47-147 has 16 scribed and 36 stamped on the stone guards. I am told those numbers have nothing to do with production order. My door hinges have RH and LH with the number 147 stamped on them. This number coralates with the body number so you might check yours and see if they have a number stamped on them. With your serial number you should have a U147 body and if there are numbers stamped on the hinges you may be able to come up with a probable body number. This body number will be meaningless as far as production order is concerened. My body number is the earliest known but my car is not the first by any means.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
24 Sep 2011 17:05 #21038 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic '35 Speedster Body Numbers
Curt will chime in and set both of us straight but I believe you are correct.

• Rogerlearmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2011 16:53 #21037 by Rogerlearmonth
Replied by Rogerlearmonth on topic 35 Speedster build sequence number
I have been led to believe that my earlier post may not be clear. From I have been told the #23 means that the car is the 23rd Speedster made out of a total of 142.

Roger L

• Rogerlearmonth
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
24 Sep 2011 16:27 #21036 by Rogerlearmonth
'35 Speedster Body Numbers was created by Rogerlearmonth
I am the new boy here so if this is a topic that has had enough airing, shut me up and tell me to go away.

I am in the process of carrying out a major refurbishment on my 851 SC Speedster. During an earlier restoration most of the wood was replaced and the previous restorer could find no body numbers. I was told by a recognised expert that the number would be stamped on the back of various chromes. Sure enough, when we stripped off the rear mudguard (fender?) chromes, both carried the number '23'.

I am however told by another expert that these are not a body number but merely a matching code and not related to any build sequence. Who, I wonder, is right.

My serial and engine numbers are: - 32910, GH3686.

Roger L