Skip to main content

Valve train Maladies

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
10 Dec 2010 23:18 #18738 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Lost Pin
It was good to see that all of us pitched in. I just replaced my rollers that I got from George A only needle rollers available. Needed to make a bushing than fit the pin this done welded the bushing and pin in place. All sixteen one side than the other side all sixteen. Just to keep the heat from doing damage. I sent my adjusting screws to Dan Ditullio (see his post) a great job. I added the extra spring to help soften the back lash. A JK Howell fix.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2010 14:54 #18124 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Valve train Maladies
Hi Charles. (And everyone else.)

I urge you to buy the ACD Club Newsletter Archive. It's $99 + $3 S&H for club members and will let you search by keyword thru 58 years of info. As the Prego commercial used to say, "It's in dere".

For a car owner it will be the best hundred bucks you'll ever spend.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• charlesflick
  • Registered
More
05 Oct 2010 13:36 #18123 by charlesflick
Replied by charlesflick on topic Valve train Maladies
Josh

Where do I find more information on these three modifications? I don't think I am ready for them right now but I would like to look at them. If they are in the newsletter can you give me an approximate date?

Charles Flick

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
01 Jun 2010 15:16 #16971 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic Valve train Maladies
A pin coming loose is a rare malady. Many have replaced the original roller and pin with a Torrington needle bearing. There are even a few Cords running around with Lee Richardson's hydraulic valve lifters!

The Porsche conversion was Lee's too. Not sure how much it helps, but it doesn't seem to hurt. I have one on my engine. My engine "ticks" and that could possibly be a source. (Valves all correctly adjusted.)

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
31 May 2010 22:19 #16962 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic roller
Had to drop the pan to find the roller's pin. Everything seemed to escape injury, or getting caught up in moving things! We re-assembled the roller and pin, then hit the end with a MIG welder. Pried on all the other pins to see if they were loose, or ready to give. Everything checks out, but I'm still so afraid of this spot weld method.
I'm also running the Porche style "elephant feet" for the contacts at the valve stem. Any one else out there using these? Remarks?
I hope to be back up running soon.
Thanks, RF.

Life Member

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 May 2010 22:36 #16923 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic Mystery solved
I yanked the intake off today (no easy task), and there was my roller laying in the valley from the 3R exhaust cam follower/rocker. I can't find the pin it pivoted on, but perhaps it will drop out when I drain the oil. I can't believe they just tack welded these pins to the cam follower/rocker. Seems like two dissimilar metals, and too much of a load to rely on such crude tactics. We are going to try and spot weld a new shaft in place I guess.
Loosing faith, RF.

Life Member

More
28 May 2010 14:28 #16915 by Joel
Replied by Joel on topic Valve train Maladies
Did you double check to make sure that you still have spark on that cylinder? Spark plug, plug wire, etc.?

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
28 May 2010 04:52 #16914 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic valve train problem
I wondering if you have a manifold gasket leak. Have you tried torquing the manifold down? With the engine running try spraying some oil around where the gas is coming out. If it runs better then you have found the problem, maybe the gasket or ?

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 May 2010 01:36 #16912 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic Valve train Maladies
I'm still fighting a starter issue, but I did manage to get her re-fired up today. The 3rd hole back on the Passenger side (3L ?) is not firing, and raw fuel is seeping out of the outside header junction. I need to get her back running so as to jockey it in the back of my garage so I can work on her. For now, she's clogging up the whole garage.
Looks like I'll have to pry the intake off. Hopefully the ex-valve just came way out of adjustment, and I don't have a broken cam follower!
Fingers crossed, RF.

Life Member

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 May 2010 00:05 #16876 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic Valve train Maladies
Ah, well this may sound easier than prying everything off the top of the engine to get to the rockers & valves. Can anyone refresh me on how to check the timing? Guess I'll have to hope that access hatch I sealed up in the firewall is re-movable, or is it easier to just pull everything out to re-time?
It does start and idle OK, but pops under load. It only sounds like one cylinder popping however.
Many thanks for all the help, Fred.

Life Member

More
26 May 2010 00:01 #16875 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic Valve train Maladies
I would put my money on Jim's answer as a first guess or at least a timing change, since the compression is still good. The distributor drive could be the problem. Henry

• Visitor
25 May 2010 22:26 #16872 by
Replied by on topic chain
If it jumped the timing chain that would mean that it is a tight engine and was run at to fast a break in. It these engine are built back to factory specs they need to broke in very slowly. The book says about a thousand miles at a very slow speed.
My 2 Cents
K Clark

• Visitor
25 May 2010 20:48 #16871 by
Replied by on topic Valve train Maladies
It's hard to diagnose without more information, but you might want to check your timing chain, it might have jumped a tooth.

Let us know what you find.

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
25 May 2010 08:49 #16862 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic Valve train Maladies
To access the valvetrain you just have to remove the intakemanifold and there you go..... did you replace the springs with new ones ? How about adjustingscrews ? and Valves ?

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
25 May 2010 05:21 #16861 by Red Fred
Valve train Maladies was created by Red Fred
So I finally was able to take my car for a good drive today, for the first time. Sure, I've been around the block a few times with her, but this was the first time I got her in 4th. Things were fine, and she never seemed to get too hot (outside pipes, but not supercharged). I heard a sudden disgruntle from under the hood, and she started popping loudly, and lost over half her power.
It's a fresh engine, and still has great compression on each cylinder. I suspect that one of the exhaust valves are not getting actuated, and the pent up compression is getting relieved through the carb when the intake valve opens. I'm hoping that it's only a matter of an adjustment, but it sure was sudden.
Looks like quite a pain to get into the valve train, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced any breaks, or fragile parts in the valve train?
TIA, RF.

Life Member