Skip to main content

My generator needs rebuilding

• Aris Loumidis
  • Registered
More
10 Oct 2010 18:27 #18153 by Aris Loumidis
Replied by Aris Loumidis on topic My generator needs rebuilding

oldbanger71, Philipp wrote: @ Aris, so you don't need to ref up your engine to stop the starter working ?

Right ! No more revving-up, just normal starting! You can read all about it in the 'Startix needs repair' post in this forum. Afterall it was never my Startix needing repair, as a matter of fact it was doing what it is designed to do: if no juice goes to it, it 'thinks' the engine has stopped so after 5 secs it tries to start it again.

But my problem was 'intermittent' 'kicking-in' of the starter, if your starter does not disingage and keeps running after the engine fires, then your Startix needs adjusting with it's side adjustment screw.

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
10 Oct 2010 17:31 #18152 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic My generator needs rebuilding
@ Aris, so you don't need to ref up your engine to stop the starter working ?

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• Aris Loumidis
  • Registered
More
10 Oct 2010 09:35 #18150 by Aris Loumidis
Replied by Aris Loumidis on topic My generator needs rebuilding
On the Gener-Nator, Don Allen has resolved the glitch and it now works with the Startix like a breeze!

Now if you want to repair your generator or get a rebuilt one, contact Curt, he sent me a great rebuilt one, here is his email <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

• Mike Markin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Oct 2010 19:52 #18144 by Mike Markin
Replied by Mike Markin on topic My generator needs rebuilding
I won't be driving it that much so a re-build seems to make sense. The generator guy in my area is having trouble finding parts for it. Any suggestions as to who might have fields, etc? Thanks for your help with this.

Mike

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
08 Oct 2010 14:14 #18142 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic My generator needs rebuilding
Mike,

Nothing wrong doing the with the gener-nator thing. Ask yourself what you want to do with the car: if you drive it extensively and want to run a lot of electrical accessories, it makes a lot of sense. Baring that, new bearings brushes and etc. in your old one may make more sense in your situation. You want a good shop to do it, but generator rebuilding for Cords, Fords or what have you isn't rocket science. Talk with other old car folks in your area and see who they recommend.

My two cents.

Mike
8-100A

More
08 Oct 2010 12:19 #18140 by vaco
Replied by vaco on topic My generator needs rebuilding
You should think about to switch to a Gener-Nator, which is an alternator in the old generator casing (see www.gener-nator.com/details.htm ) . I have good experience with it (it charges way better than the original generator), however it has a minor flaw: it does not work well with the original Startix. You have to rev up the engine to about 1000 rpm after the engine starts to get the Startix to stop the starter motor; the Gener-Nator begins to charge after starting (and only then) only after it has reached ONCE a certain rpm (after that it charges all the time already at low rpm). You may otherwise also contact Don Allen (Gener-Nator supplier/manufacturer located Oregon, see above link) to rebuild you normal generator.
Mario

BTW Josh Malks has also one installed since years!

• Mike Markin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Oct 2010 01:39 #18139 by Mike Markin
My generator needs rebuilding was created by Mike Markin
I am looking for someone to rebuild my generator (1937 Cord). Who might I contact? Thanks
Mike