'37 Beverly gas door knob

• Curtis Bartell
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2011 15:22 #18989 by Curtis Bartell
Replied by Curtis Bartell on topic '37 Beverly gas door knob
Ethan
You make a good point that applies to more than just the Cord. When I purchased a 1926 Star M sedan to restore back in high school, I noticed that it appeared to have a different rear fender on one side of the car.(the fenders were identicle, but had different mounting holes.) The passenger side fender had been corected by having the mounting holes burned in the right places with a torch. Upon disassembly I discovered that the fenders had began life with the same mounting holes (Mirror images),but the body had a different pattern on each side, and had come from the factory like that. (the rear body skin consisted two sides spot welded to the rear panel to form a wrap and then nailed to the frame.)

Now that I think about it, how about that high tech 37' fuel pump firewall mod?

Curt

"I've cut it twice and it's still too short."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2011 14:09 #18987 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Auburn Motorcar Company
Anybody who has restored many Cord cars and has payed attention to detail will find out the many differences to the details of manufacture. For eg: early Cord used an EE1 carb, then changed to the EE15. not to re-tool the exsisting manifold for the four bolt carb they made a spacer block to convert the three bolt manifold in stock to adapt a four bolt EE15. Intresting enough there were four different deck lids made, Hoods had bracing in different places or none at all. Aluminum oil pan, timing case covers in the same material. Stone guards and it changes. It is interesting to note that all of these changes were done in a short time frame. within a year and a half. Cost always seemed to be the motivating factor and of coarse getting a wonderful looking car to run effortlessly.
In Josh Malk's new book he hits on all of these changes. It is interesting to see these changes. Come to Auburn this year and see these changes first hand !

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2011 05:30 #18978 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic '37 Beverly gas door knob
I forget who said it, but I recall someone saying once that when it comes to Cords, nothing is simple. They meant it only half-jokingly.

Ethan makes the point that many have: just how amazing it was they managed to turn out an automobile at all.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2011 04:42 #18976 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic KEYS
The reason for all the different locks cylinders, Auburn Motor Car Company sourced out inventories from already made supplies. Remember this was an ongoing problem at the factory. Just no money!

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Curtis Bartell
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
07 Jan 2011 04:16 #18973 by Curtis Bartell
Replied by Curtis Bartell on topic '37 Beverly gas door knob
Thanks Ethan.
(Wow, that's a lot of keys for one car)
Curt

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • Registered
More
05 Jan 2011 18:22 #18959 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic GAS DOOR LOCKING KNOB
The locking knob did not share a common cylinder, it's all by its self. The ignition key and righthand door handle shared the same key. Glove box key also by it self including deck lid lock.

• Curtis Bartell
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jan 2011 21:51 #18956 by Curtis Bartell
'37 Beverly gas door knob was created by Curtis Bartell
I've been unable to find a servicable gas door knob for my Beverly so I'm thinking of machining a knob complete with lock. Did these locks share keys with the ignition or glove box locks?