Skip to main content

Cord Westchester SOLD $35K Barrett~Jackson AZ Auction

More
26 Jan 2011 18:32 #19092 by curt
I have to agree with ACd Machinery. I was also there. I did not get a chance to look under the hood, but the exterior paint and chrome were showing signs of many years of use. It appeared to be a good solid car and rather complete, but not a "complete, ground up restoration in 2007"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike Brady
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2011 21:09 #19088 by Mike Brady
Let's not forget that the Auction Companies want us to focus on the hammer price.

The buyer cost includes hammer, buyers fee, tax and transport to his own garage. It can get significant, depending where you live.

• balinwire
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
25 Jan 2011 19:47 #19085 by balinwire
Is this the car 1348A? #Lot 953 Looks like a creampuff.

www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... ord&model=

People always say congratulations. When you?re a successful bidder it means you?re willing to spend more money than anyone else. I?m not sure if that?s congratulations or condolences.

I dont get it, in 2008 it brought 66K and then auctioned for 38 in 2011.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
24 Jan 2011 08:27 #19071 by Mark Tomei
Hello Everyone; I just returned from the Arizona auctions this evening. I looked at the '36 Westchester at Barrett Jackson that you are discussing and maybe can give you a first hand report. While the car was cosmetically intact, it appeared that the restoration could have been done in the 70's or 80's based upon it's present condition. It was very much a driver quality car that will need a full restoration or at the minimum, a complete paint job in order to stand up to any knowledgeable scrutiny. I still agree that $35k was a good price for it but, don't believe it is as far off the mark as you might believe watching it under the lights of the TV simulcast where everything looks in concours condition. I wish it's new owner the best of luck and hopefully we will see it in Auburn someday.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
24 Jan 2011 03:24 #19070 by mikespeed35
Alsancle was to the point!
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
23 Jan 2011 21:47 #19066 by alsancle

silverghost wrote: Mike~~~
ALL CARS WILL SELL NO MATTER HOW LOW THE FINAL PRICE BID !

Unless the buyer buys it back.

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Jan 2011 20:49 #19063 by silverghost
Mike~~~
What I mean is B-J will not let you place a minimum "reserve price" at which you are willing to actually sell your car.
If bidding is Below this "Reserve Price" you the car-owner/consigner set~~~The car will not sell ! This is selling "On Reserve Price".

ALL cars consigned to the B-J Auction will sell as you are not permitted to place a minimum "reserve selling price" on your car !

This is an "absolute auction" !
ALL CARS WILL SELL NO MATTER HOW LOW THE FINAL PRICE BID !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 Jan 2011 20:27 #19062 by mikespeed35
There is no such thing as a No Reserve Auction.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
22 Jan 2011 21:57 #19057 by alsancle
If the car was a great bargain at 35k then there is a good chance the seller bought it back. I'm just very suspect of getting a great deal at BJ.

More
22 Jan 2011 18:47 #19055 by Ohio AMX
I tried to watch some of the B-J coverage last night but after a couple hours of Corvette after Corvette I gave up. I would NEVER sell a car of mine there.

Scott Campbell
Medina, OH

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
22 Jan 2011 16:55 #19054 by silverghost
If you have a real restored Antique, Classic, or Brass-Era auto Barrett~Jackson is the wrong auction venue to sell your car.

B-J is all about Muscle-cars, clones, hotrods/steetrods, and the so-called resto-mod & tribute cars.

I don't know how this Cord selling at only $35K actually ran~~~ But it looked simply stunning !
The interior looked to be in Pebble Beach condition & quality .

The paint looked very good also !

Take it down the road to RM or Gooding and make 3-5 X your $35K !

It appeared to me to be the Real Steal of the acution so far !

I feel bad for it's owner/restorer as I believe he really lost his shirt on this car sale!

The only people making any money selling this Cord at "No-Reserve" was Barrett~Jackson & the New Buyer!

Your timing in the auction rotation on the block has a geat deal to do with getting your best auction price !
Too early or too late in the auction rotation, or on the wrong day and your realized price will suffer greatly.
Also the way the auction company actually promotes YOUR car in it catalog and adverts will often have a BIG impact on the ultimate auction selling price.

Selling at a "No-Reserve" allowed auto auction is a big risk you should never take !
This could be just like selling at a "Fire Sale" !
A "No-Reserve" allowed auction to me is a sign of a greedy auction company that wants to make Big Money $$$ themselves off of each car that goes over their auction block; as each car will sell no matter how low, or bad the price!
It is also a sign of an auction company that really does not care about it's car owner/consigners wellfare !
It is also a sign that an auction company has more consignment business than it really needs or wants ! I believe 1500 cars were actually consigned~~~Many more than that were in fact actually turned-away !
Some say 3X as many were in fact turned away !
An auction company should represent the seller and want to get the most money for them at the least possible risk to them; just like a Real Estate agent !
This three ring Circus & Auction has just gotten too BIG!

That is just my opinion after 55 years in the collector car hobby !

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Dennis Jolicoeur
  • Registered
More
22 Jan 2011 16:28 #19053 by Dennis Jolicoeur
Replied by Dennis Jolicoeur on topic Barrett Jackson
I was watching the Barrett Jackson yesterday and could not believe that the Westchester only went for $35K, it was beautiful. If I was there I would have jumped at it.

Dennis Jolicoeur

More
22 Jan 2011 14:29 #19052 by alsancle
Brad,

I don't know this car in particular but without seeing it in person it's hard to tell if it's a "deal" or not. I don't think BJ is the best place for the car but they rarely give anything away. We probably all have been at an auction where the car in person doesn't quite measure up the description in the catalog.

A.J.

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Jan 2011 21:28 #19050 by silverghost
A great & nicely restored 36 Cord Wetchester 4 door sold at Barrett~Jackson Scottsdale AZ today for $35,000. !!!

That's correct a RESTORED CORD WESTCHESTER sold for $35. Thousand !

The REAL STEAL of the week so far at this auction !
I wish I had gone to bid on this great Cord~~~ I'd bet others here woud have bid on it too !

This is but another example of the WRONG AUCTIOIN VENUE for this great Classic Cord coupled to Barrett~Jackson's all cars sold at NO_RESERVE POLICY !

The owner/consigner did not look very happy to say the very least !