Skip to main content

Gauge question

• memaerobilia
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2011 15:56 #19501 by memaerobilia
Replied by memaerobilia on topic Gauge question
This may not be of much help, but I tried. I hope it is of some use to SOMEone. You can see the full photo of the Cord in my earlier post, "409 Cord." It was a large negative and i did my best to scan it in at 4800 dpi resolution, but you can only get what the old camera lens was able to get at the time.
PS; Josh and Chris,
Please contact me, as I Finally have some time to get you high res posts from my Dad's Auburn, Cord, and Duesenberg photos and negs.
I'd never sell them, but if you want high res images for your reference archives or a non-profit magazine, Im happy to see the memory of Dad's work with exotic Classics, sports and racing cars, and projects, kept alive and appreciated.
Been trying to "recover" 281! of Dad's original photo prints of so many important cars 50-60 years ago. They went "missing" over 35 years ago, and we were VERY upset at the loss. They resurfaced on the Eay auction two months ago and I was told about them a WEEK after they sold! They were even described as coming from our shop and my father, (who, of course would NEVER willingly part with them under ANY conditions) and contained a lot of personal weekend photos too. But I contacted the person who now has them, but was unable to recover them.

Joe G.
hundreds of our early photos or planes, racecars, customs classics @ www.memaerobilia.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Emporator
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2011 05:42 #19498 by Emporator
Replied by Emporator on topic Gauge question
Hello gents,

Thank you for all the replies. Something of an oddity this gauge of mine! I've taken a photograph for the benefit of all curious.

Below is the gauge which currently resides, somewhat forlornly and in need of a dusting, above my writing bureau.

Looking at it now I realise there's a reflection of a model 812 Phaeton to the left. Unintentional, yet fitting!

I'd welcome any thoughts about this ammeter.

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2011 16:11 #19340 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Gauges
Stewart Warner made all the instruments for the Cord. I have restored about 20 complete sets, all of the amp gauges have + & - . I have seen many substitutes, all from the Rub Goldberg era.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Red Fred
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2011 02:33 #19332 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic amp gauge
Yep, I just checked mine; it has the (+) & the (-).
RF.

Life Member

More
21 Feb 2011 02:21 #19331 by hportz
Replied by hportz on topic ammeter
Hi Down Under, I doubt that the gage is a Cord gage. You know that the gages that were used in Cords were modified by Stewart Warner from gages that they already produced for other manufacturers. Cheers, Henry
P.S. Mine has + & - .

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2011 10:04 #19321 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic Gauge question
I could imagine that it was restored by an enthusiast in the early days when the correct silkscreened glass and spraycolure was not available. i still would like to see a pic here on the forum or e-mail me at :
<a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• Red Fred
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2011 04:32 #19319 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic amp meter
Perhaps it's for "Charge" and "Discharge"? I'll have to check mine in the morning.
RF.

Life Member

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
30 Jan 2011 20:41 #19121 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic Gauge question
Best would be to post a pic here, to give you the correct answer.

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

• Emporator
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Jan 2011 01:55 #19113 by Emporator
Gauge question was created by Emporator
Hi all,

I've got an ammeter for a Cord 810/812, but it looks slightly different to other ammeters I've seen. Instead of the + - symbols, it has the letters D and C and while it has the numbers as you'd expect, the font is ever so slightly dissimilar. The colour is different too - more of a yellow hue to it.

I know this sounds like an amateur question to ask, but did the gauges come in two varieties, or do I have an ammeter off a Graham or the like?