Skip to main content

shifting and starting on 12V

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
22 Mar 2011 14:02 #19649 by
Replied by on topic shifting and starting on 12V
Ethan, Jim,Carlton,I'll be sure to check the coils when I get the box back.

While I'm in the electrics, here is another question.
I'm refitting (resoldering)the steering column selector switch.
I've found the diagrams to check my work.
There is 1 thing I can not figure out.
On checking the switch with test 1 (Techtalk 2002 no 6 page 16) with fourth gear selected
I think yellow and red with green tracer should connect , and not yellow with black tracer?
Thanks
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
10 Mar 2011 19:09 #19506 by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER
Replied by ETHAN ALLEN TURNER on topic Coils
I have seen a few of this intermintant problens with the coils. When you have the coil cover cad or zinc plated the process of plating somehow creates a gap on the staked end of the coil posts. What I have done was to solder the post to the base plate. Jim has used a jumper wire and Carlton as well. To read between the lines these fine ACDer's have had such a problem. It also happens without having the plating done. It would be helpful to do this repair now regardless, it is a charm to locate when a shifting problem has presented itself.

LIFE MEMBER #25 Man of the Year 2011 WHAT EVER WE DO FOR OURSELF DIES WITH US
WHAT EVER WE DO FOR THE WORLD STAYS
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

More
10 Mar 2011 00:02 #19502 by Jazzman
Replied by Jazzman on topic 12 volt
NO THE STARTEX WORKS FINE,JUST DISABLE THE TOP COIL AND USE IT AS A STARTER RELAY CARLTON

I have heard there are 29,816 parts to one of these cords. Most of mine came ups..... and didn't fit

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2011 09:41 #19500 by
Thanks for the responses.
So the consensus is to change the startix and have a good look at the
solenoids but keep them at 6V?

Frank

More
09 Mar 2011 01:23 #19495 by Jazzman
Replied by Jazzman on topic jumpers
I used no. 12 copper house wire for my jumpers.aka on Don Mates advise. Carlton

I have heard there are 29,816 parts to one of these cords. Most of mine came ups..... and didn't fit

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Mar 2011 01:18 #19494 by
Carlton,
I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm going to be coordinating the group from the East Coast for the Convoy. At this point I'm putting together the list of who's interested from this part of the country and waiting to see how things work out for the meeting in Indianapolis. Then we can plan the meeting points and routing for this part of the Cord Convoy. I'll keep in touch.

Frank,
Regarding running the solenoids on 12 volts...over the years there hasn't been much of a problem with them failing. However they are now 75 years old and I've started seeing and hearing of a few coils going bad. I suspect the biggest problem would be if the solenoid is energized for a period of time. With the short time the solenoids are energized during normal use I would think they will be OK.

While you are in the soienoid box make sure you put three jumpers on the under side of the lid as a back up to the brass tabs. 75 years tends to corrode the brass and you may not get a good connection (finding that problem is a real pain).

Jim

More
08 Mar 2011 20:30 #19493 by Jazzman
Replied by Jazzman on topic convoy
Hi Josh,Yes thats it.The pheaton.Did you ever see my web site? www.7stringuitar.com and then go to eastcoastcord.I tried to find out where we would meet,but the link didn't work. See you soon Carlton

• Josh Malks
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2011 16:10 #19491 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic shifting and starting on 12V
Hi Carlton. Is the 8-stacker the car in which you are planning to drive the Cord Convoy? I know lots of Cord owners would enjoy seeing it.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

More
08 Mar 2011 01:44 #19486 by Jazzman
Replied by Jazzman on topic 12 volt
Hi Frank,I've been running 12 volt in my 8 stacker since about 1988.No problems yet with the coils. Used one of the startex solenoids, with modern(start position)ign. switch good luck Carlton

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2011 08:46 #19281 by
I need some advice. The car will be run on 12V .
Bulbs, instruments,starter,alternator,coil and radio have been taken care of.
Starting will be done with a 12V startix or starter button/ingition switch with start position.
Leaves the gearbox relays.What to do? Replace them(with what),run them as they
are(upping the V's on 70 year old relays is not appealing is it?) , fit resistors?
Any advice is welcome

Thanks
Frank