• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2011 05:12 #19621 by Red Fred
Replied by Red Fred on topic Cord confusion
Thanks Pat,
Me thinks I have that gen secured by some combination of bracketry now, and the throttle linkage appears un-obstructed as a result. 12V sounds good. Then I can have a proper radio. What are you doing about the shifting solenoids for the conversion?

Many Thanks, RF.

Life Member

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
18 Mar 2011 19:11 #19616 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Cord generator
Based on my knowledge, there were two styles of generators, and three types of brackets, (2) types for std. engines, and (1) type for S/C. The mid to late 1937 Cords with "FB" engines were equipped with side mount pumps and use a "U" shaped brackets with a curved plate versus the earlier "U" type bent bar. These later engines and S/C engines used the longer generator with firewall mount regulator. I have all three brackets on or off cars. Hopes this helps. I agree, make it work, and enjoy driving the Cord. I am finishing a second Custom Beverly and installed a 12 volt generator and regulator, love how it starts on 12.

Pat Leahy

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
18 Mar 2011 19:11 #19615 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Cord generator
Based on my knowledge, there were two styles of generators, and three types of brackets, (2) types for std. engines, and (1) type for S/C. The mid to late 1937 Cords with "FB" engines were equipped with side mount pumps and use a "U" shaped brackets with a curved plate versus the earlier "U" type bent bar. These later engines and S/C engines used the longer generator with firewall mount regulator. I have all three brackets on or off cars. Hopes this helps. I agree, make it work, and enjoy driving the Cord. I am finishing a second Custom Beverly and installed a 12 volt generator and regulator, love how it starts on 12.

Pat Leahy

• Red Fred
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
18 Mar 2011 06:44 #19613 by Red Fred
Cord confusion was created by Red Fred
My car is a grab bag of mixed parts, which started as an early '36, but later modernized toward a '37 Beverly Sedan. The previous owner had access to quite a few Cords he owned, and mine has suffered the consequences.
So I have a non-supercharged car, but with outside exhaust. I suspect my generator to be incorrect, as it is very long. The gen. brackets that came with the car appear to be for a super charged application, as the "U" bracket that attaches to the top of the manifold with 2 bolts seems extended, and is quite wide; 7 1/4" over all. This bracket placed the generator way over center, toward the left side of the car, interferring with the throttle linkage to the carb (which is also incorrect).
Tonight, I installed a non-supercharged "U" bracket, which brought the gen more closer to center, but is an inch too short between the attachment points on the gen. I made up a simple spacer for now.
While addressing the throttle linkage, I noticed that the upper "L" shaped bell crank had equal length arms. Yet a spare set-up I have has one arm much longer.
Can anyone shed some light on which generator I should have? Which bracket for it, and which "L" shaped bell crank for the throttle. Life is too short for me to worry about correctness with this car. I just want it to run reliably.
Many Thanks, RF.

Life Member