Skip to main content

Grandpa's Cord

• oldbanger71
  • Registered
More
02 Apr 2011 10:44 #19720 by oldbanger71
Replied by oldbanger71 on topic Grandpa's Cord
Would not the Museum know the VIN ?

The more i know, the more i realize that i don't know enough.
812 310 121 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• charlesflick
  • Registered
More
01 Apr 2011 12:41 #19715 by charlesflick
Replied by charlesflick on topic Grandpa's Cord
Sorry not much luck. Confirmed your grandfather was a member from about 1984 to 1999. There was a list of cords by model, serial number and owner published in 1984 but does not list your grandfather. Do you know the name of the person that owned it before him?

Try contacting Ron Irwin, the Cord 810/812 historian

Charles Flick

• salguod
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
31 Mar 2011 17:04 #19708 by salguod
Replied by salguod on topic Grandpa's Cord
Thanks for your reply, his name was George Schaefer.

Grandpa was the first in a line of car nuts. Dad also has a '56 T'bird that Grandpa owned and I have his '60 Thunderbird Convertible. My uncle has a '64 Corvette Stingray that he's owned since new.

salguod
www.salguod.net
1960 Thunderbird Convertible

• charlesflick
  • Registered
More
31 Mar 2011 16:21 #19706 by charlesflick
Replied by charlesflick on topic Grandpa's Cord
What was your grandfathers name? Or did I miss it in the post. I think there was a listing of owners and serial numbers we can check. I'll see if I can find it.

Charles Flick

• salguod
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
28 Mar 2011 03:05 #19691 by salguod
Grandpa's Cord was created by salguod
Hello, I'm new around here. I don't own a Cord, but my Grandfather did when I was growing up.

It was a '37 812 Phaeton, Supercharged if I remember right. He acquired it in pieces from a friend as repayment of a loan. It was quite rough (my Dad said there was an inch of dust on the fenders they pulled down from above a paint booth), but he had it restored. The car was originally creme, I think, but he had it painted black with a red interior and black top. The restoration would have been in the early 80's, I believe.

The car was on display in the ACD museum in the later 80's - early to mid 90's (as was his '57 Eldorado, which my Dad now owns) and Franklin Mint saw the car there and used it to produce their 1:24 scale Phaeton model. I have one of the 6 models he received in exchange for letting them use his car.

He sold the car at auction in Auburn shortly before his death. I believe that would have been the fall auction in 1998, maybe 1997. I'm curious as to where the car may be today. I have no idea what the VIN would be, although my Dad might. It may be a long shot, but I'm hoping the ACD community is pretty small and close and someone here may know of the car based on its unique history and time in the museum. I'm just curious as to what happened to it.

salguod
www.salguod.net
1960 Thunderbird Convertible