Another Labor Day week end at Auburn

More
10 Sep 2014 20:55 #28169 by Mike Dube
Mike Dube replied the topic: Re: year of the Duesenberg 2015

Bob Roller wrote: Bill,
I would hope for more than 50 cars.Could it be these cars are so active being shuffled around in auctions that no more than 50 would be available?
I think in 1989?there were more than that in the park.

Mike,
I have heard the local hotels/motels gouge like mad during this event.
If this is true we will have none of it.We are more than willing to pay fair prices but will not support being gouged by any of them.
What say you or anyone else who sees this post.

Bob Roller

Bob,

The Auburn Hotel is the old historic one downtown where Melvin used to stay. Being old, many of the rooms don't have a full bath. Rodger does have a 3 night minimum. I have also heard that many of the regular hotels went begging this year, the crowds were less than usual. It's been many years since I availed myself of "normal" lodging at the reunion. In the late '80s, Motel 6 & the like in Ft. Wayne charged their regular rates, probably not any more. If you have access to an RV, the good folks @ Auburn Gear (right behind Eckhart Park with easy access) let you set up free, no hook ups tho.

Mike
8-100A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Bob Roller
  • Bob Roller's Avatar Topic Author
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
10 Sep 2014 22:04 #28170 by Bob Roller
Bob Roller replied the topic: Auburn Hotel
My wife and I were in Ray Wolff's room with Melvin and another man and of course talking Duesenberg.Melvin's MCC was nearby but I think he was not in any shape to drive it.Same for Ray.My wife was NOT impressed with either of them and said she hoped they stayed out of the cars that night.
We stayed in Ft.Wayne at a Motel 6 in the late 1980's and both boys enjoyed the pool as did I.We like Van Wirt.It has a couple of decent hotels and a good restaurant or two.
9-11 tomorrow.Keep your powder dry and caps fresh.

Bob

Bob Roller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds